Autonomous territory, subordinate to the Kingdom of Denmark. It is located in the Arctic, on the largest island in the world. From the physical-geographical point of view, it belongs to North America, but historically it gravitates towards Europe. Greenland is a former colony of Denmark, whose status, from 1953 to 1979, was gradually transformed into an autonomy.
With a vast area (dozens of times larger than the area of Denmark), Greenland remains one of the most sparsely populated places on Earth. Economic life is concentrated on a narrow coastal strip, free from continental ice and occupying about 15% of the total area of the island, mainly in its south-west.
90% of the population of Greenland are Eskimos; the remaining 10% are Danish and other Europeans. Since 2009, Greenlandic is the only official language in the autonomy, but Danish retains a dominant position in the education system.
The problem of achieving full independence remains relevant for the people of Greenland and its authorities. The referendum on the independence of Greenland is expected to take place in the early 2020s.